Hakkari: Eight Turkish troops have been killed in an attack believed to be carried out by Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in southeastern province of Hakkari, close to the Iraqi border, on Wednesday. Several others were reportedly injured in the attack.
Officials and Turkish media said the troops died after their vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb or mine.
Last month, 13 Turkish soldiers and seven Kurdish rebels were killed in the deadliest clash in three years.
Security sources told media that the cause of the latest deaths was a remote-controlled explosive device. Agence France-Presse reported two separate mine blasts.
Some earlier reports suggested Kurdish rebels had opened fire on a vehicle carrying troops in an ambush.
The attack occurred in the district of Cukurca, and military reinforcements were reportedly being deployed to the area.
“They [the rebels] are testing our patience… We’ll retaliate in kind,” Defence Minister Ismet Yilmaz was quoted as saying.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan also warned recently of tougher action against Kurdish rebels.
Kurds from the PKK rebel group have been waging an armed campaign for autonomy that dates back to 1984.
More than 40,000 people have been killed in the violence.