Karachi: The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) has strongly condemned the recently resigned Sindh senior minister Dr Zulfiqar Ali Mirza’s allegations against the party and its leadership, terming them a conspiracy.
Earlier on Sunday evening, Dr Zulfiqar Mirza while addressing a press conference at the Karachi Press Club alleged that MQM chief Altaf Hussain in a meeting with him in London told that America wants to destroy Pakistan and his party would support the US because they could not see Pukhtoons becoming strengthened in Karachi, home to 18 million people. He also said that Sindh Education Minister Pir Mazharul Haq was also present in the said meeting.
Later, in an emergency meeting of MQM’s Rabita (coordination) Committee held simultaneously in Karachi and London said that Mirza’s statement was nothing but an effort to demoralize the MQM. The committee reminded that similar allegations were also inflicted on MQM in the past but all were proved wrong.
It said that MQM had also faced the allegations of Jinnah Pur, which was later proved fake and baseless.
The MQM’s Rabita Committee urged President Asif Ali Zardari and senior Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) leadership to clear their position over the current situation.
The meeting also said that Mirza had tried to provoke a wave of hate and terrorism. It asked the citizens of Karachi to remain calm and peaceful.
The committee also said that the former senior minister had proved that he was directly involved in the target killings in the metropolis.
It asked Mirza to explain who had been involved in the target killings being carried out in the past few days in Karachi.