Karachi: The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) on Thursday announced a ‘peaceful’ protest movement against the terrorism in Karachi and demanded the traders and transporters to keep their businesses close and shutdown public transport till the arrest of culprits behind Abbas Town blast.
The announcement was made by the MQM’s Rabta (Coordination) Committee members during press conference at nine-zero.
Raza Haroon, the MQM leader, said that the movement will continue till the arrest of the culprits. He said that government was aware of the elements behind the Sunday blast that killed 50 people and injured 150 others.
He said that banned outfits were being supported for political motives.
Haroon said that the MQM had no option other than a peaceful democratic protest to restore peace in the city.
Meanwhile, traders and business men have demanded the MQM to call off the protest saying the movement would cause severe damage to the country’s economy.
All Karachi Tajir Ittehad (KTI) President Atiq Mir said that the MQM should stage sit-in outside the parliament and other government building instead of paralysing the business activities.
Earlier, unidentified men opened aerial firing in different areas of Karachi, Hyderabad and other cities and forced shopkeepers to close businesses.
The situation turned panicky after the rumours were spread in the markets that MQM leader Farooq Sattar has been injured in an incident of firing.
It was also rumoured that few close relatives the MQM leaders had been kidnapped.
However, the police have denied the report spread through the rumours.