Mumbai: Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, wearing T-shirt and a big red tilak on his forehead, has said he will return to prison for his conviction over the 1993 Mumbai blasts and will not apply for a pardon.
Dutt — who was convicted in 2006 of buying weapons from bombers who attacked Mumbai — has been on bail since 2007 when he appealed against his original sentence of six years.
Last week, the Indian Supreme Court reduced his six years sentence to five years and has ordered the actor to surrender in four weeks.
The Bollywood star broke down during an interaction with journalists on Thursday and hugged his sister Priya Dutt, who was sitting next to him.
An emotional Dutt told reporters that he would “abide by the court’s decision” and not seek a pardon.
“I am a shattered man. This is a very tough time in my and my family’s life. I have a few days left [before returning to prison], Dutt said.
Dutt, the son of a Hindu father and a Muslim mother, said, “I have a lot of work to finish. I would also like to spend some days with my family.”