PESHAWAR: A group of 15-20 terrorists attacked the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) camp at Inqalab road in Peshawar’s Badaber area came under attack early Friday.
Terrorists in two groups attacked the base camp from two different sides.
One group tried to engage security troops, while the other wanted to break in.
ISPR release, terrorists opened fire on Base camp’s mosque and killed 16 Namazis.
Were contained within a close area.Meanwhile a gp rushed to mosque,martyred 16 Namazi offering prayers.Were surrounded,13 killed,continues-9
— AsimBajwaISPR (@AsimBajwaISPR) September 18, 2015
Update from On Site:Terrorists entered camp at 2 points.further split in sub gps.Encounter began immediately due to quick response.-8 — AsimBajwaISPR (@AsimBajwaISPR) September 18, 2015
According to a military official, “All the terrorists were wearing explosive-laden jackets and were armed with hand-propelled grenades, mortars, AK-47 rifles.”
While eyewitnesses claim they saw around six to seven terrorists dressed in black militia uniforms wearing white shoes.
Nearby residents said explosions and gunfire could still be heard more than three hours after the attack took place.
When the attack occurred, a heavy contingent of the QRF reached the spot. An exchange of fire between the militants and security forces took place. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police have cordoned off the area.
The DG ISPR said terrorists had attacked the guard room at the camp early in the morning. The QRF reached the scene and surrounded the attackers, isolating them.
The terrorists had been engaged and confined to a small area around the guard room area of the camp.
Chief of Army Staff General Raheel Sharif has reached Peshawar. He will visit the Corps Headquarters and will meet with troops participating in the clearance operation. He is also expected to visit the wounded at CMH.
Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman is also on his way to Peshawar. Aman briefed the prime minister about the ongoing operation in Badaber over the telephone.
Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan spokesperson Muhammad Khurasani claimed responsibility for the attack in an e-mail sent to journalists.