KHARTOUM (Sudan): Sudan’s military and the main opposition coalition have agreed on a constitutional declaration which will be base for the transitional government.
African Union mediator Mohamed Hassan Lebatt has announced that both the parties have agreed on a constitutional declaration. However, he did not give any details of the deal.
Sudan has been in turmoil since the military ousted President Omar al-Bashir in April. Protracted talks over the declaration have been held amid much violence.
The long-awaited declaration deal triggered celebrations in Sudan, which has been plunged into months of crisis.
Protests first broke out in December after Bashir’s government imposed emergency austerity measures. He was then overthrown by the military in April after prolonged protests outside the defence ministry in Khartoum.
Protest demonstrations have held since calling for transferring authority to a civilian administration.
The document outlines the terms of a three-year transitional period agreed last month by the military council and opposition leaders. The power-sharing deal envisages a governing body of six civilians and five generals.
“I am announcing to the Sudanese, African and international public opinion that the two delegations have fully agreed on the constitutional declaration,” Mr Lebatt told reporters on Saturday.
He said further meetings would be held to work out the technical details of the signing ceremony, but did not provide any information about the agreement itself.
The deal on the declaration came after the military council announced that nine RSF soldiers had been dismissed and detained in connection with the killing of protesters, including four schoolchildren, this week.
The deaths had prompted mass demonstrations across the country and caused delays in the talks.