BRISBANE, Australia: Two wards were closed down by Redcliffe Hospital administration after a number of patients suffer from norovirus outbreak on Wednesday.
The facility has requested visitors to sanitize or wash their hands when they arrive or leave the hospital to prevent further spread of the infection.
“Symptoms typically subside within a few days,” she said about the viral infection.
“With the hospital treating a number of patients suffering from these gastro-like illnesses and as a practical measure, we have closed and restricted visitor access to some wards – including Level 5 East, and our Rehabilitation Unit,” Dr. Yelland revealed in a statement.
Babies and toddlers are particularly susceptible to norovirus infection and are more likely to have serious complications than healthy adults.
Norovirus is an extremely contagious viral illness that often goes by other names such as stomach flu, gastroenteritis and food poisoning.
The virus usually spreads through contaminated food, water, surfaces or objects in closed and crowded spaces or through close contact with a sick person.
Norovirus symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhea and muscle pain.