12 C
Perth
October 18, 2019
Editor's Picks Europe Iran Latest Politics Saudi Arabia Top Stories UK

UK, Germany, France blame Iran over Saudi oil facilities attack

NEW YORK, USA: In a joint statement issued after a meeting held at UN headquarters on Monday, three major European countries snubbed Iran over Saudi oil facilities attack.

The trilateral declaration emerged from the three signatories, United Kingdom, Germany and France, to the 2015 Iran Nuclear Deal, pointing towards increased possibility of annulment.

“It is clear for us that Iran bears responsibility for this attack. There is no other plausible explanation,” the three leaders said in the joint statement released by France.

The countries urged Iran to “refrain from choosing provocation and escalation” in the Middle East.

The 109-page Iran Nuclear Deal had lifted several sanctions in 2016 in return for Iran’s compliance in giving up 97% of its enriched uranium as well as two-thirds of its centrifuges.

The statement came about as British Prime Minister Boris Johnson hinted at UK’s withdrawal from the Iran deal, also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).

United States President Donald Trump had earlier decertified JCPOA in October 2017.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif refuted the allegations saying a military attack by his country would have completely knocked out Saudi Arabia’s main oil-producing facility.

Zarif also said Yemen’s Houthi rebels “have every reason to retaliate” for the Saudi-led coalition’s aerial attacks on their country.

He stressed that “it would be stupid for Iran to engage in such activity” so close to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani’s visit to the UN.

The September 14 drone attacks claimed by the Houthi rebels in Yemen have escalated tensions in the region.